You are currently viewing The Consent Process – What You Need To Know

You’ve probably heard that getting a building consent can be expensive and time-consuming.

But what’s involved exactly? And how stressful is the process likely to be?

At Ezyline we deal with consent issues on a daily basis. So here’s a simple run-down of what you can expect when buying one of our new transportable homes.

Building Consent Vs Site Consentbuilding-consents_281x281

You will need both of these in order for us to build and transport a new house onto your section.

The good news is we will take care of the building consent for you. We apply to Tauranga City Council for consent to build your dwelling in our yard in Mount Maunganui. Their building inspectors will visit us on site to check progress, and issue a code of compliance once the home is complete and they’re satisfied it meets the New Zealand Building Code.

The cost of this consent is included in your Ezyline price, so no further payment is required.

The site consent is the part you need to organise yourself – although we are, of course, always here to help!

This consent needs to be issued by the local council which governs the area where your house will be permanently located.

Your site consent covers:

  • foundations
  • drainlaying
  • plumbing connections

Once your home is delivered to site, council inspectors will visit (usually up to three times) and issue a code of compliance once they’re sure everything’s up to scratch.

A site consent typically costs $1500 – $2500. But you may also be hit with impact fees which cover things like:

  • reserve contributions
  • roading
  • stormwater and sewage connections

Impact fees can vary dramatically between councils – expect to pay anything from $300 up to $10,000. Rural areas are often cheaper, while Tauranga is one of the most expensive.

How Do I Get A Site Consent?

1. You will need a detailed site plan drawn up by a licensed designer. You’re welcome to engage our Ezyline designer, or we’re happy to put you in touch with local professionals in your area.

2. Submit this plan to your local authority. They have 20 working days to respond – but don’t be surprised if they come back to you at the last minute and ask for further information. It’s common for them to ask lots of extra questions which can draw the process out to six weeks or more.

3. In addition to site inspections, the council’s town planning team will check the legal distance between your house and the boundaries, and whether you will block your neighbour’s daylight.

4. Depending on how much the council knows about your local soil conditions, they may also require a geotech report from an engineer which will add to your overall cost.

5. If you’re changing the use of your land by subdividing or adding an extra dwelling beyond what you’re legally allowed, you may also need a resource consent. This is another process entirely and can cost between $2000 and $10,000 depending on which council you’re dealing with.

Our Advice

  • Be patient
  • Use professionals
  • Expect to jump through lots of hoops

Sometimes gaining consent can sour people’s experience before building has even begun! But rest assured, you will get there. Knowing that it’s likely to be a frustrating, slow process will hopefully enable you to stay calm when things get held up.building-consent-2_316x211

If you have any further queries about the consent process, or need help at any stage, give me (Wallace) a call on 07 572 0230. We’re always happy to give information and advice.